Groundbreaker
LEO Command
Judiciary
LSPD
Whitelisted
SAPD Apprentice
Jan 11, 2021
Hi all,

A post I think is well overdue and a conversation we need to have about the systems we have on the server.

I'm going to start this very strongly and bluntly. Do not go to Pillbox looking for a fight. Do not bring your hostilities into Pillbox (or any hospital, but notably Pillbox)... They are HOSPITALS, filled with medical employees, there is NO ROLEPLAY VALUE to having hostilities in Pillbox. I strongly disagree with the concept of greenzones, and I'd much rather the community be respectful of the hospital rather than having to make it a rule. If you are bringing bad RP (anywhere, but this topic is about medical) to the hospital, you may end up losing your Whitelist. It is a privilege to play here, and the expectation is that you bring quality RP.

Another topic I want to cover is basic respect and decency: I don't care if your character is a gangster, biker, cop, etc. there is no need to be hostile/aggressive with the people that are doing their job trying to save YOUR life or your friends life. At some point, you're gonna need them. So why treat them like crap?

We have a lot of people who are here playing EMS, Doctors, Nurses, that put in a significant amount of time to learn how to do proper medical roleplay and provide medical services to the community. It is very discouraging to them to be harassed, mocked, or involved in shootings or other hostile situations that happen at the hospital. They are here to HELP and provide great roleplay! Be a positive part of that, don't ruin their RP for no reason.

Adding onto that, people need to start calling 911 when they are injuried - especially when they've been shot or suffered other major injuries. EMS has worked A LOT to get more EMS available around the clock, but are still confronted with people dragging their friends in to the hospital. Repeat offenders here will be talked to. If you call 911 and don't get a response within a few minutes, then go ahead and transport - but call 911 and they'll respond that your call has been recieved and they've sent a unit.

You have to remember that when you get injured, you need to ROLEPLAY your injuries. Put a bit of effort into this awesome medical system we've curated. This post doesn't apply to most people as many are respectful to the awesome medical staff we have. But for those who aren't, you really need to think about what you're doing and why. Of course there's times where you may dislike what medical staff are doing, or argue with them... But to do it for no reason is very unnecessary. They are here to give great RP, give great RP back.

Edit to clarify:
I am not saying that there can't be any hostile or aggressive/rude RP at the hospital by any means, what I'm saying is that there should be a good roleplay / IC reason to do so. Going in and being that way for no reason is silly.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Justin Cooke

Dr. Cookie
Administrator
Silver Supporter
SAMS Command
Cabinet Member
SAMS
Judicial Support
Dept of Commerce and Labor
Board of Edu. Management
Whitelisted
Board of Medicine
Mar 15, 2021
Iowa, USA
www.twitch.tv
Hi all,

A post I think is well overdue and a conversation we need to have about the systems we have on the server.

I'm going to start this very strongly and bluntly. Do not go to Pillbox looking for a fight. Do not bring your hostilities into Pillbox (or any hospital, but notably Pillbox)... They are HOSPITALS, filled with medical employees, there is NO ROLEPLAY VALUE to having hostilities in Pillbox. I strongly disagree with the concept of greenzones, and I'd much rather the community be respectful of the hospital rather than having to make it a rule. If you are bringing bad RP (anywhere, but this topic is about medical) to the hospital, you may end up losing your Whitelist. It is a privilege to play here, and the expectation is that you bring quality RP.

Another topic I want to cover is basic respect and decency: I don't care if your character is a gangster, biker, cop, etc. there is no need to be hostile/aggressive with the people that are doing their job trying to save YOUR life or your friends life. At some point, you're gonna need them. So why treat them like crap?

We have a lot of people who are here playing EMS, Doctors, Nurses, that put in a significant amount of time to learn how to do proper medical roleplay and provide medical services to the community. It is very discouraging to them to be harassed, mocked, or involved in shootings or other hostile situations that happen at the hospital. They are here to HELP and provide great roleplay! Be a positive part of that, don't ruin their RP for no reason.

Adding onto that, people need to start calling 911 when they are injuried - especially when they've been shot or suffered other major injuries. EMS has worked A LOT to get more EMS available around the clock, but are still confronted with people dragging their friends in to the hospital. Repeat offenders here will be talked to. If you call 911 and don't get a response within a few minutes, then go ahead and transport - but call 911 and they'll respond that your call has been recieved and they've sent a unit.

You have to remember that when you get injured, you need to ROLEPLAY your injuries. Put a bit of effort into this awesome medical system we've curated. This post doesn't apply to most people as many are respectful to the awesome medical staff we have. But for those who aren't, you really need to think about what you're doing and why. Of course there's times where you may dislike what medical staff are doing, or argue with them... But to do it for no reason is very unnecessary. They are here to give great RP, give great RP back.

Thank you.
Thank you!

Reactions: Hannah Welsh

Anezka Drakos

Whitelisted
Mar 17, 2021
Kentucky
www.twitch.tv
I'm not a doctor on this server, but played one of the first doctors on TFRP. I'd like to just say that while "hospital RP isn't fun" is a huge mindset a lot of people come in with, please remember that the RP you give is the RP you receive. The medical staff won't "force" injury RP on you, and it can either be funny, serious, or lighthearted.

You'd be amazed at how your story can adapt, change, and be impacted by RPing a serious consequence to something you hadn't thought of before. Did your character wreck while jet skiing and drown? Welcome to pneumonia, relying on others for assistance for awhile, and perhaps an aversion to the water.

Well played out injuries can completely change your story and are good drama. That isn't to say every injury has to be dramatic by any means. Just as many can come from the funny angle as well, and I'm sure the medical staff would love to laugh with you about them just as much as anything, since many times they either get "I slipped and just need help up," or "I'm dying here, save me!"

Just some thoughts from a former doc on a previous community.

Thanks.

Angus thompson

Whitelisted
Feb 10, 2021

This seems contradictory. You want the hospital to be treated as a green-zone but are unwilling to simply make it a rule, but you're also willing to ban people for it. For the sake of fairness and transparency I feel you should either make it a rule and enforce it as such.

I'm not sure of your meaning here. If you're referring to OOC harassment then I agree entirely, but I'm not under the impression that EMS, Doctors, or Nurses are under some form of protected class for Antagonistic roleplay to come there way. If medical personnel should be excluded from any sort of conflict than I feel that instead hamstrings the level of roleplay coming their way.

There are quite frankly, injuries that do not warrant the calling of an ambulance and I believe it is a failing of the medical system we employ to tell the difference between a minor injury and major. To use an example: I was hanging around with a friend of mine who took a curb weird and fell off his bike. He had an injured leg that didn't seem to respond to bandaging. We opted to take him to the hospital given our inability to fix what should have been a minor injury and he passed out part way there. Given that we were one street down from the hospital, I opted to drive him the rest of the way for which I was scolded by one of the EMS in the lobby.

Realistically, if you fall off your bike and skin your knee, would you call for an ambulance? (For clarifications sake this was a BMX, not a motorcycle)

Aside from the fact that this should be regarded on a case-by-case basis, I do understand that even those minor calls provide opportunities for EMS to roleplay, especially when there are many of them on and few instances of players being injured. Same with doctors, and instead of having X many EMS and Doctors sitting around pillbox waiting to be engaged, that they be kept 'on call' and allowed to go out and do other things than be an apparatus for med-rp.

Walker Webb

Groundbreaker
OnlyBans
Feb 6, 2021
I'm not sure of your meaning here. If you're referring to OOC harassment then I agree entirely, but I'm not under the impression that EMS, Doctors, or Nurses are under some form of protected class for Antagonistic roleplay to come there way. If medical personnel should be excluded from any sort of conflict than I feel that instead hamstrings the level of roleplay coming their way.

As a longtime medical roleplayer, I don't log on and help people for antagonistic RP. IF I wanted that, i'd clock off and leave the hospital.
I clock on to provide Med RP and Med RP alone. The few hostile situations we've had already have been incredibly demoralizing and have damaged moral and our presence overall on a couple occasions.

being a doctor / ems means we are server mechanics, but we deserve to be treated like our rp matters. Hostility at the hospital is very rare irl and it holds up EVERYONES care. While it is to fair that not all characters will care about what their actions do, but realistically if you mess with the people who could keep you alive in the future you should realistically be fearful of what that means. Literally anyone of us could be crooked and you not know, and try to kill you in subtle ways if we wanted.

Charlotte Parker

The Laughing Goblin
Staff
Groundbreaker
Whitelisted
Feb 7, 2021
Near Denver, Co
Hi all,

Thank you.
Thank you!

Forrest Mann

The Whole Table
Management
Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
LEO Command
Judiciary
LSPD
Whitelisted
SAPD Apprentice
Jan 11, 2021
This seems contradictory. You want the hospital to be treated as a green-zone but are unwilling to simply make it a rule, but you're also willing to ban people for it. For the sake of fairness and transparency I feel you should either make it a rule and enforce it as such.
Greenzones are very anti-rule, and becomes black or white. I don't think a greenzone is necessary if the community treats the hospital with the respect it deserves.

Wesley Webb sums up my thoughts.

There are quite frankly, injuries that do not warrant the calling of an ambulance and I believe it is a failing of the medical system we employ to tell the difference between a minor injury and major. To use an example: I was hanging around with a friend of mine who took a curb weird and fell off his bike. He had an injured leg that didn't seem to respond to bandaging. We opted to take him to the hospital given our inability to fix what should have been a minor injury and he passed out part way there. Given that we were one street down from the hospital, I opted to drive him the rest of the way for which I was scolded by one of the EMS in the lobby.
The reason EMS may scold you is they often get GSWs, etc. that are brought in without people calling 911. If it got to the point where you have passed out or gone down, you should at least call 911 and see what can be done. The peds are fairly beefy, they don't go down without pushing it quite a bit. What I wrote about mostly applies to people who are getting GSWs etc and bringing their friends in.

Jacob Harris

Whitelisted
Feb 8, 2021
You say no hostility rp. But don't want to make it black and white. But you state "there is NO ROLEPLAY VALUE to having hostilities in Pillbox." If a character is supposed to be disrespectful they should be allowed to be disrespectful. Just because you are a dr or ems doesn't entitle you to any more respect than anyone else on the server. If you act like an ass you'll be treated like an ass. If you are respectful you'll get more respect. If my toon wants to be disrespectful to ems they should be allowed to be.

Walker Webb

Groundbreaker
OnlyBans
Feb 6, 2021
You say no hostility rp. But don't want to make it black and white. But you state "there is NO ROLEPLAY VALUE to having hostilities in Pillbox." If a character is disrespectful they should be allowed to be disrespectful. Just because you are a dr or ems doesn't entitle you to any more respect than anyone else on the server. If you act like an ass you'll be treated like an ass. If you are respectful you'll get more respect. If my toon wants to be disrespectful to ems they should be allowed to be.
Disrespectful is one thing, shooting up the hospital, shooting up the parking lot etc is whole other alley

Reactions: Angus thompson

Jacob Harris

Whitelisted
Feb 8, 2021
Disrespectful is one thing, shooting up the hospital, shooting up the parking lot etc is whole other alley
if rp happens and leads to a shootout it leads to a shootout a hospital is not immune to shootouts that's why hospitals have security and why pd is trained to know where one is. Just because its a hospital shouldn't make it immune to hostile rp.

(Edit below.)
You are asking it be treated like a greenzone without making it a greenzone. If its an ooc decisions to enforce people not be hostile there then make it a rule.

Last edited:

Mark Nightshade

Silver Supporter
Whitelisted
Feb 21, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Imagine your character is about to face life in prison and are in the hospital with a warrant you hear cops coming and you know this is your last chance to possibly escape the police in that incredibly desperate situation I could potentially understand someone having a last stand at the hospital. But this should be something that almost never occurs. Pillbox has had multiple violent incidents inside of and just outside of it since the server opened. Again if there is a STRONG story based reason for it I think it makes sense but it should not be doctor man made me mad me shoot him

Arlow Greene

Groundbreaker
Whitelisted
Feb 6, 2021
www.twitch.tv
As a longtime medical roleplayer, I don't log on and help people for antagonistic RP. IF I wanted that, i'd clock off and leave the hospital.
I clock on to provide Med RP and Med RP alone. The few hostile situations we've had already have been incredibly demoralizing and have damaged moral and our presence overall on a couple occasions.

being a doctor / ems means we are server mechanics, but we deserve to be treated like our rp matters. Hostility at the hospital is very rare irl and it holds up EVERYONES care. While it is to fair that not all characters will care about what their actions do, but realistically if you mess with the people who could keep you alive in the future you should realistically be fearful of what that means. Literally anyone of us could be crooked and you not know, and try to kill you in subtle ways if we wanted.
Highlighted part depends on where you live IRL, because where live there have been a lot of hostility at a couple of our hospitals.

Besides that, I kind of agree with both sides of this debate...like things such as shootings and stuff like that shouldn't take place at Pillbox but things as far as rude ass patients, argumentative patients and things along those lines should be ok. Like Pillbox shouldn't be a completely greenzone or be treated as such but I feel we as a community should understand why this is being brought up and to keep the more hardcore hostile RP out of that area...

Reactions: Jaxon Corsair

Nikki OLeary

Apr 14, 2021

@Mac Moody

This quote right here is the issue. No player on an RP server should ever assume that they are somehow immune from situations that they are not in control of. RP should always be dynamic and if rules go into play where you're never allowed to drive your friend to the hospital, which happens IRL and you're never able to RP negatively with hospital staff when they are blatantly rude to your characters ICly, then people, specifically patients are going to start treating medical RP like a process, not an experience... and the RP will die.

I know that one person doesn't speak for the entirety of the Medical RPers on the server, but I feel like this is very much a "be careful what you ask for" situation.

My experience with this server so far and the Medical community has been overwhelmingly positive overall, but what specifically happened at PillBox today wasnt toxic or "demoralizing". People are taking IC situations personally and allowing their feelings to bleed over to OOC issues.

The world aint all sunshine and rainbows. Los Santos is a HIVE of drugs and murder and to assume you shouldnt be exposed to negative RP, just because youre EMS, or a doctor, or a cop, or a drug cartel leader, or a judge... or a garbage man.... is... unrealistic.

Walker Webb

Groundbreaker
OnlyBans
Feb 6, 2021
@Mac Moody

This quote right here is the issue. No player on an RP server should ever assume that they are somehow immune from situations that they are not in control of. RP should always be dynamic and if rules go into play where you're never allowed to drive your friend to the hospital, which happens IRL and you're never able to RP negatively with hospital staff when they are blatantly rude to your characters ICly, then people, specifically patients are going to start treating medical RP like a process, not an experience... and the RP will die.

I know that one person doesn't speak for the entirety of the Medical RPers on the server, but I feel like this is very much a "be careful what you ask for" situation.

My experience with this server so far and the Medical community has been overwhelmingly positive overall, but what specifically happened at PillBox today wasnt toxic or "demoralizing". People are taking IC situations personally and allowing their feelings to bleed over to OOC issues.

The world aint all sunshine and rainbows. Los Santos is a HIVE of drugs and murder and to assume you shouldnt be exposed to negative RP, just because youre EMS, or a doctor, or a cop, or a drug cartel leader, or a judge... or a garbage man.... is... unrealistic.

if this weren't a RP space, yes. But do you understand the sheer VOLUME of stuff we have to deal with on a day to day basis that has nothing to do with RP in order to provide RP for the COMMUNITY? Guidelines, SOPS, Rules, Paperwork. It's hard for a normal person to deal with let alone somebody trying to have fun.

It's less about not wanting unpredictable RP, and just not having the energy to do both. As a doctor on a good day i deal with dozens of people, often in stressful situations to provide the RP in both an orderly manner and a decent one. That doesn't always happen, but we do our best to make sure everyone gets their moment with the doctors.

Because of this, we want to provide that RP without many issues. You can be antagonistic, but doing all of that for everyone else and having stuff literally thrown in our face day in and day out is demoralizing. You can say 'The World aint all sunshine and rainbows' and you are right, but for us to not wanna quit being fake EMS and Doctors for no gain the community has to respect the work we put in even a little bit and avoid bringing their garbage to where we eat.

You get to be the bad guy and not have backend stuff to deal with on top of RPing. It's more work for us than it is fun and that is for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Bradstock

Daisy McCoy

2.0 Supporter
Silver Supporter
Whitelisted
Mar 12, 2021
I personally don't mind hostile interactions if it's warranted. Mainly I think this post is coming up because the last couple days there have been an overwhelming amount of hostile situations. Having EMS or Doctors (usually politely) ask you to move your vehicle or call 911 doesn't warrant a hostile interaction. There's a reason for this; not just ICly are you blocking an emergency lane, but with a crap ton of personal vehicles clogging the lane/parking spots/non-parking areas, it can cause stability issues for those inside the hospital or around it. (Today, it caused a massive explosion). Not every interaction with medical staff needs to be negative when they're asking you to respect the areas in and around the hospital. Most of the time when we ask, we're met with hostility, and it just gets worse.

I think it's understandable if your character is abrasive in nature, however, it's not all that unique like you'd think it is -- if everyone is abrasive, then it's not exactly special, unique, or a rare occasion. Which is what brought this whole issue up -- being called "bitch" or other hostile things MULTIPLE times in a 2-3 hour period is unnecessary & eventually does wear you down. We're starting to experience more hostility RP than anything else. If EMS is rude to you, then I think it's understandable to be rude back -- I mean let's be realistic if it were IRL, I imagine that'd be the response. But if EMS is asking you politely and you're being a jerk to be a jerk, just remember it's not unique RP and it's probably happened to them 20 times prior, and that's why they're rude.

Personal opinion -- and my EMS/Doctor colleagues probably will disagree with me, I don't necessarily MIND lockdown sieges in RP. BUT -- I don't think it should be something that happens so casually and so often. IRL it does happen. It happened to the hospital I used to frequent IRL. A guy came in with a gun and held a bunch of people hostage to get to his estranged doctor girlfriend. It does happen. But again it comes down to "is this a unique scenario" or "are we shooting just to shoot". I want to see story. If a siege brings along AMAZING RP, then by all means, siege. But if someone is trying to gunfight their way through a hospital to save their pal from 10min jailtime for petty larceny, ... well c'mon.

Lastly, I did post in suggestions, but I do believe medical RP in it's current state is frustrating for (some) EMS/Doctors and (some) civilians. I play EMS to RP, make connections, talk and meet people & have an avenue for my own deep story. Right now with the state of EMS, I feel like I don't get that. With a passout timer of 3-4 minutes, if we're responding from anywhere in the city, we're most likely not going to make that timer. That means when I arrive I'm RP'ing with /me's. I want to be able to talk to people. I want people to have the choice to be incapacitated, or able to verbally talk to me. Right now I feel such a disconnect talking to myself. I'd like to see people at least be able to speak WITH me. I think some Civs would be more receptive to medical RP if they could talk. If they could have a bit more control over their character.

Forrest Mann

The Whole Table
Management
Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
LEO Command
Judiciary
LSPD
Whitelisted
SAPD Apprentice
Jan 11, 2021
The problem is, people often take it too far. There's such thing as rude patients, I 100% agree, and that's fine. But a lot of the time, things get taken too far and for no particular reason. If everyone is rude/aggressive/hostile with EMS just because that's who they are, it is very excessive at times. If you have a REASON to be that way, sure, absolutely, RP it out. But that being said, there really is no room for hostilities like gunfights, robberies, kidnappings, etc at the hospital. It's very unnecessary most of the time and should be avoided. Long storylines that for some reason need to culminate in the hospital? OK, but that shouldn't be a common occurrence.

Forrest Mann

The Whole Table
Management
Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
LEO Command
Judiciary
LSPD
Whitelisted
SAPD Apprentice
Jan 11, 2021
With a passout timer of 3-4 minutes, if we're responding from anywhere in the city, we're most likely not going to make that timer. That means when I arrive I'm RP'ing with /me's. I want to be able to talk to people.
We're re-enabling being able to speak when dead in the very near future.