Maggie McCormick

Staf
Developer
Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
SAMS
Whitelisted
Jan 19, 2021
SAMS would like to give you a little introduction to who you'll be greeted with at various hospitals when there are no player doctors on duty. They will no longer be referred to as Dr. LoCal or whatever colloquial name is used, they'll have their own names and their own stories for you to interact with, as well as their own motivations.

Please keep in mind however, that local doctors *are* fully trained medical professionals. They are not going to botch surgeries. They also cannot be sued for malpractice, because they aren't committing it. They will not leave bullets in people, or remove organs they shouldn't, or anything like that. You can absolutely RP complications afterwards, but the local doctors have to be infallible in the moment.

There are three local (now known as on-call) doctors for you to know, one for each hospital:

Zonah - Dr. Calvin Zelig

Dr. Zelig, born in Cologne, Germany received his Doctorate in Medicine then went on to a surgical residency at Johns Hopkins University. He has also received certification in Emergency Medicine and has been an Emergency Medicine Doctor (EMD) for 12 years, with countless surgeries and successful medical interventions under his belt. He is friendly but mildly aloof and may not answer many questions about his personal life, especially since his wife left him several years ago due to his tendency to put work before family.

He’s a very handsome man despite his age; he’ll turn 55 this year but he looks 35. Think a slightly younger Mads Mikkelsen who is also slightly less intimidating. Nurses often whisper about him and have their own little crushes, but he doesn’t notice.

Dr. Zelig is methodical, a trait he passes on to his students that pass through residency with him. He tends to double and triple check for injuries and quietly but carefully questions his patients to ensure they are leaving with all their concerns addressed.

Sandy Shores - Dr. Sandra Bremmer

Dr. Bremmer is a native to Sandy Shores, leaving town only long enough to get her medical degree at UC Davis. The moment she received her degree she returned to San Andreas to complete her residency in Los Santos at Mount Zonah under the tutelage of Dr. Zelig, whom she developed a deep but secret crush on. Dr. Zelig, unsurprisingly, is far too oblivious to notice. She’ll talk about him to anyone who will listen so if you take up a discussion with her, don’t be surprised if that’s where the topic turns.

She is a small, mousy looking woman with brown hair and very green eyes. She’s only mousy because she does not wear makeup nor worry about her appearance… unless she’s visiting Zonah. Then she goes wild and puts on a daring nude lipstick and puts her hair in a French twist instead of a bun.

Dr. Bremmer is very kind and considerate, but timid. Very rarely will she call the police when gunshot wounds come in, simply because she is too scared to. Criminals are especially scary to her. She is very thorough however, she just might take a little longer because she fears if she doesn’t do well, the patient might come back and yell at her later. That would be the worst. Therefore she does her utmost to ensure that her work is impeccable.

Paleto Clinic - Dr. Axle Odin

Once a rather notorious member of the Vikings biker club out of Paleto, Dr. Odin, who took a tour as a combat medic in Afghanistan decided to further his education and pursue a Doctorate of Medicine at the University of Los Santos. He too completed his residency at Mount Zonah under Dr. Zelig and once it was complete he requested to be transferred to the clinic at Paleto. While it is not as well equipped as the other hospitals, and really only meant to be an urgent care clinic caring for minor illnesses and injuries, Dr. Odin makes a point to take in all injured without sending them on to Zonah unless truly severe or in need of specialized equipment or ICU care, as he is skilled enough to care for all but the most grievous of wounds on his own.

He looks much like you’d expect a biker to look, only slightly more groomed. He doesn’t want to get hair in his patients wounds. Many tattoos, close-cropped beard, black hair shot with copious greys he doesn’t bother to cover.

Dr. Odin is very protective of any residents of Paleto, most especially his Viking brothers and sisters and will never call the authorities when they are brought in with gunshot wounds, despite being obligated to do so. To his family he’s jovial, always happy to see them. To strangers, he’s a bit gruff and short, though his treatment is equally careful for everyone.

Last edited:

Oliver Langmore

2.0 Supporter
OnlyBans
Feb 7, 2021
I love it but I gotta ask.... what about our local less the legal doctor?

Maggie McCormick

Staf
Developer
Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
SAMS
Whitelisted
Jan 19, 2021
So a large reason for this is due to things like papework and reporting, because I found it tragic to just use "Dr Lo-cal" on a medical report, etc, it's just highly immersion breaking.

I'd encourage people to come up with their own lore for them, because honestly I have no idea IC or OOC who/what/where. :D I can only really affect things that are directly under my umbrella and I have no control over the er.. unaffiliated doctors.

Roxanne Shepard

Weenie Hut Jr.
Whitelisted
Feb 11, 2021
Somewhere In A Forest, Montana
This is awesome! Always found it frustrating to say "doctor lo-cale" and found it even more frustrating when I'd give them a name and everyone around me would be like "are you nuts?" So glad we have some canon names to refer to them as now. <3

Reactions: Dexter Ford

Leon Price

Whitelisted
Mar 15, 2021
I always pictured Lo Cal as an Asian name with them wanting to pronounce their name last name then first name like some Asian countries, Cal Lo for the English speakers. But, it's really cool to see different doctors at the different medical centers and have stories for each. Definitely makes it more immersive. I understand where people are coming from not liking "Lo Cal", but I always was able to put a face to the name. However, I understand that's just in my own mind.

Alessa DeFrank

💡 An innocent bean
Administrator
Gold Supporter
LEO FTO
BCSO
Whitelisted
Public Defender
Mar 19, 2021
I wanna remind everyone of that thread as at the moment it was noticed that an influx of players might not realize that this post exist and just to inform everyone again on the great local doctors we have. :)