LEO Command
LEO FTO
Dept of Commerce and Labor
State Police
Whitelisted
Public Works
Mar 12, 2021
Hi all,

As we reach the readiness of this feature, we wanted to poll the community on if it is something that the community is in favor of moving forward with. This poll will go for 1 week from today and we will proceed with the result from that.

Please be civil :)

F.A.Q
  • How does it work?
    • Any cash transaction done by a player, will be utilized from a Cash Item within a players inventory. This includes (Shown Below)
      • Receiving/Giving Cash
      • Any Business Purchases (Mech Shops, 24/7's, Player Owned Businesses)
      • ATM/Bank Deposits/Withdrawals
      • Vending Machines
      • Payphones
      • Criminal Activities
  • A player wants to give me $100,000 in cash.. Won't it drop on the floor?
    • When a player is giving cash, the weight limits are ignored temporarily, to ensure all the cash can be given to you. This will allow for you to deposit that cash into your bank
  • Does this change any current features? (ie; Mechanic Shops, 24/7's, Businesses)
    • All basic functionality remains the same, excluding decimal factors within currency.
    • Any cash transaction with a decimal value will be rounded up/down
    • Players can give cash from their inventory. (/givecash still remains an available option)
  • What about the weight?
    • Weight is always up for discussion.
    • Briefcases still remain an option to hold large sums of cash

xXd3M.png

NobsB.png

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: Jason Murphy

Harry Kennedy

2.0 Supporter
Gold Supporter
Groundbreaker
Whitelisted
Feb 6, 2021
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
I believe this is a great and balanced step forward, and tbh what should have been the case from day one. It would make wallets a bit more interesting and prevent people from having extreme and unrealistic levels of cash on them.

It would also make seizure of currency more realistic for police, and robberies more realistic, or at least make people have more emphasis on protecting their physical currency. A physical cash item would also play well for criminals too, especially given bank rolls are actual items atm.

D'Artagnan Leblanc

Whitelisted
Mar 28, 2021
I feel like it would be better with an actual item. If you rob someone for whatever reason, i feel like its immersion breaking and kinda annoying to have to ask them to give it to you, and they can easily lie and say they have no cash when they do. having it as an actual item would remedy that

Chris Stevens

Proud Hillary Supporter
LEO Command
BCSO
Board of Education
Whitelisted
Mar 23, 2021
It would finally give use to the emotes/props that are made to have money in them that don't. I think it's weird that money isn't already a physical item especially when you have dirty money as a physical item. Makes no sense to have one be a physical item and the other be make believe.

Erich Vetrovono-Kovovitch

Whitelisted
Jul 13, 2023
a couple issues i forsee/feel:
1: 5000 dollars in 1 dollar notes would weigh 5kg or 11lbs. realistically that amount of cash would prob be 100 dollar notes which would weight about 2lbs. 55 lbs for 5k is insane. 55lbs of cash (in 1s) would be near 25k?
2: The amount of times iv had inventory issues where something doesnt move, or ends up on the floor makes this seem as a recipe for alot of tickets about bugged money. Some things that require a huge amount of cash (say kits from slideways) having to carry 100+ lbs of cash on you is a bit excessive.
3: This will make the suitcases useless basically, as thats what I and prob others have used to carry and transfer large cash amounts.
4: the amount of times a wallet gets sold cause it mixes in with the others is often, there should be a check that disables the sale of a wallet if it has cash in it (to be honest I personally feel this should have already been a thing selling wallets with items in them)

I feel if these issues could be addressed it would make it interesting, but forcing people to carry large cash amounts as a physical item is going to lead to issues. at least make it so certain amounts are made of larger notes, so if i have 5000 its made from 50 x 100 dollar notes, instead of quarters (yes $5k in quarters would weigh roughly 55lbs depending on the year of the coins) just my 2 cents (that somehow weigh 12lbs each)

Carlos Rubio

SK8RBOI
Administrator
Developer
Silver Supporter
LEO Command
LEO FTO
State Police
Whitelisted
Public Works
Mar 12, 2021
a couple issues i forsee/feel:
1: 5000 dollars in 1 dollar notes would weigh 5kg or 11lbs. realistically that amount of cash would prob be 100 dollar notes which would weight about 2lbs. 55 lbs for 5k is insane. 55lbs of cash (in 1s) would be near 25k?
2: The amount of times iv had inventory issues where something doesnt move, or ends up on the floor makes this seem as a recipe for alot of tickets about bugged money. Some things that require a huge amount of cash (say kits from slideways) having to carry 100+ lbs of cash on you is a bit excessive.
3: This will make the suitcases useless basically, as thats what I and prob others have used to carry and transfer large cash amounts.
4: the amount of times a wallet gets sold cause it mixes in with the others is often, there should be a check that disables the sale of a wallet if it has cash in it (to be honest I personally feel this should have already been a thing selling wallets with items in them)

I feel if these issues could be addressed it would make it interesting, but forcing people to carry large cash amounts as a physical item is going to lead to issues. at least make it so certain amounts are made of larger notes, so if i have 5000 its made from 50 x 100 dollar notes, instead of quarters (yes $5k in quarters would weigh roughly 55lbs depending on the year of the coins) just my 2 cents (that somehow weigh 12lbs each)
1. Weight isn't final, is always up for adjustment
3. Suitcases will still be very much of use to store any large sums of cash.

Rest are things that can be addressed and touched on within time.

Carlos Rubio

SK8RBOI
Administrator
Developer
Silver Supporter
LEO Command
LEO FTO
State Police
Whitelisted
Public Works
Mar 12, 2021
I have a question with this,

If I would want to give money to someone, would I have to split the stack of cash and pass it over like other inventory item or would the /givecash still work as it did before?
/givecash would still be an option available. For more specific transactions.

Any commands that dealt with cash, will still be in-tact. The splitting in inventory would come as an additional feature since it's an inventory item.

Reactions: Serena Davenport

Michaelangelo DiPietro

State Police
Whitelisted
Jun 20, 2022
As long as you guys are confident that you can track and combat the main reason servers avoid cash as an item (duplication), then I'm all for it. The weight, as noted, may be an issue - but I'm confident that can be adjusted as needed.

I've never seen too much of an argument against this in servers beyond exploits, so I'm curious to see others' thoughts on denying this given that most seem to be against it currently.

Adam Wrangler

I like those odds.
Silver Supporter
Whitelisted
Mar 15, 2021
Texas
www.twitch.tv
Considering how much inventory management I and others already have to do, and I know im not alone in carrying between 1k-20k+ on me at any given time, this just feels like more of a headache. Though checking someone's cash in a robbery would be a nice option, I know at least for myself I don't usually take cash besides comical amounts (IE "Let me hold a dollar"). From experience of cash as item servers, it usually increases player(pvp) lootboxing.

Storm Merlyn

Local Goth Girl
Silver Supporter
Whitelisted
Public Defender
Mar 24, 2021
To be honest, I think myself and many others would just stop carrying any amounts of cash whatsoever. As mentioned above, it would increase robberies by a significant amount, not to mention how often items get bugged and poof requiring comp requests, in addition to additional inventory management, this just seems to me like it would be more of a headache both IC and OOC.

Carlos Rubio

SK8RBOI
Administrator
Developer
Silver Supporter
LEO Command
LEO FTO
State Police
Whitelisted
Public Works
Mar 12, 2021
To be honest, I think myself and many others would just stop carrying any amounts of cash whatsoever. As mentioned above, it would increase robberies by a significant amount, not to mention how often items get bugged and poof requiring comp requests, in addition to additional inventory management, this just seems to me like it would be more of a headache both IC and OOC.
Considering how much inventory management I and others already have to do, and I know im not alone in carrying between 1k-20k+ on me at any given time, this just feels like more of a headache. Though checking someone's cash in a robbery would be a nice option, I know at least for myself I don't usually take cash besides comical amounts (IE "Let me hold a dollar"). From experience of cash as item servers, it usually increases player(pvp) lootboxing.
More curious on the expansion of "increased robberies"
As even now players can still do such in its current state.

Cash is ideally meant to always be a risk factor of "careful of what you carry".

Reactions: Roxanne Shepard

Storm Merlyn

Local Goth Girl
Silver Supporter
Whitelisted
Public Defender
Mar 24, 2021
More curious on the expansion of "increased robberies"
As even now players can still do such in its current state.
They can take cash now, but it isn't convenient. As already mentioned above, it's an awkward situation of having to say "give me your cash" and hope the player is honest with the amount they put into the /givecash mechanic. Obviously if they lie and you know they've lied, that's a report, etc etc etc, but it's much easier and much quicker to just grab inventory items and go. Taking cash as it is now makes the robbery take longer, and that's more time for cops to show up.

If cash becomes an inventory item, all they have to do is Shift + Click and then they've got all the cash the person had on them, and they can dip in 20 seconds or so, before cops come around. Takes away any kind of risk in waiting to get any cash off the victim, so it'll happen more often. Less risk + More reward = Increased robberies

Arthur Mayweather

Whitelisted
Public Works
Apr 24, 2021
All jobs that pay in cash would just become farms for robbing people. I'm of the same mind. If it becomes an item most people will just stop carrying it. I can already see people hanging out around corners from atms and banks to make, low effort, no rp robberies.

Geoffrey Davenport

Silver Supporter
Whitelisted
LEO Recruit
Jul 9, 2022
Apologies if this already has been addressed or not but, would we be able to store the item in a wallet/purse?

Harry Kennedy

2.0 Supporter
Gold Supporter
Groundbreaker
Whitelisted
Feb 6, 2021
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
All jobs that pay in cash would just become farms for robbing people. I'm of the same mind. If it becomes an item most people will just stop carrying it. I can already see people hanging out around corners from atms and banks to make, low effort, no rp robberies.
I would argue this would fall under the current definitions of Fail RP. The point of this server is high-quality RP, not random robberies to get rich quick.

Reactions: Arthur Mayweather

Vivian Aldis

Silver Supporter
SAPD FTO
SAPD Command
SAPD
Whitelisted
Jun 6, 2021
England, UK
As someone who constantly struggles for pocket space, I'm really not fond of this.

Whilst I like the idea, I'm already at a point with Viv where I feel it will add to my constant issues of knowing what I can put away and what she might need.

Unless the weight won't affect too much, I'm leaning towards being against this :/

The only thing I can see this benefiting are the criminals who go round robbing people as they'll see physical cash instead of asking how much money they have and taking it. That's a good thing really for them! I'm just concerned about pocket space 🤣

Arthur Mayweather

Whitelisted
Public Works
Apr 24, 2021
I would argue this would fall under the current definitions of Fail RP. The point of this server is high-quality RP, not random robberies to get rich quick.
You're right it does, and you're arguing my point for me. Proving someone is doing it with intent is a long process. The staff already have enough reports to worry about without adding in a new easy way to break the rules. The benifits do not outweigh the detriments here. If you give people an easier way to break the rules they will. Call it pessimistic, but the proof literally on this forum for everyone to read.

Vic Nailburry

Whitelisted
Jan 22, 2022
I’ve often heard people mention the amount of money they have in their pockets; recently, someone told me they had 40k, and the idea of being able to take that is pretty wild.

From my perspective, I’m not one to rob people—I don’t think I’ve ever done that in NewDay during the few years I’ve played. It’s just not who I am. However, it does make sense to have money in your pocket realistically; everything has its pros and cons. I see that people are complaining about robberies, which is understandable, but there could be a middle ground through rules about pocket-wiping. For example, if a certain amount of money is reached, it might be better to set limits.

I know not all people are affiliated either, but you get robbed? Figure out who, and get it back everyone has friends even if not affiliated. On another side note, I think the economy is pretty great at the moment, and I don't see it as a super grind to get that money back dependent on the amount.

The same goes for the "farm" talk. It could help weed out the bad apples and bring more dedicated role-players closer to the community.

One concern I have is the weight of the money—ideally, it should remain at zero.

Overall, I support the change.

Samuel Davidson

SAPD FTO
SAPD
SAPD Supervisor
Whitelisted
Sep 3, 2022
Oregon
They can take cash now, but it isn't convenient. As already mentioned above, it's an awkward situation of having to say "give me your cash" and hope the player is honest with the amount they put into the /givecash mechanic. Obviously if they lie and you know they've lied, that's a report, etc etc etc, but it's much easier and much quicker to just grab inventory items and go. Taking cash as it is now makes the robbery take longer, and that's more time for cops to show up.

If cash becomes an inventory item, all they have to do is Shift + Click and then they've got all the cash the person had on them, and they can dip in 20 seconds or so, before cops come around. Takes away any kind of risk in waiting to get any cash off the victim, so it'll happen more often. Less risk + More reward = Increased robberies

To your example, someone taking longer than 20 seconds to /givecash would basically be failRP if they are trying to stall for cops. If someone is trying to steal cash (something I've done on my crim in the past), they will do so regardless.

If anything, people don't steal cash enough during player robberies. They just take a gun and one item because it's awkward as fuck and immersion breaking as hell to type "/me takes cash" or "/me checks wallet for cash".

I'm fully in support of this change, and wished it was a thing far sooner than this. I think this promotes criminal conflict RP. If you think this promotes groups constantly robbing civilians, just remember staff tickets and/or reports are a thing and people who try to abuse it would obviously be dealt with. It's really as simple as that.

Edit: I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who voted no but failed to articulate valid arguments here in the thread as to why. Cash item would be more RP, something we all should be wanting.