Let's Talk Medical

Jonathan Swizz

2.0 Supporter
Gold Supporter
Whitelisted
Apr 14, 2021
Calgary. AB. Canada
Would there be the possibility of implementing an injury guide and what to expect to roleplay as the injured party? I'm all for medical roleplay and love the interactions I've been able to have!

I just feel bad because I feel I could provide a lot more, if there was a ressource that I could check to give myself more information on the type of wound and the impact on BP, O2, consciousness, etc...

For example I looked up symptoms, but I feel that it broke immersion as there was a significant amount of time between what the doctor was examining and what I was trying to state to dive deeper into the rp for the EMTs and Doctors.

Then again, that's just me! I'd love to throw a curveball for example during surgery - sutures rupture, or secondary source of bleeding happens, etc..

Vick Torino

Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
OnlyBans
Feb 6, 2021
Washington, DC
www.twitch.tv
Would there be the possibility of implementing an injury guide and what to expect to roleplay as the injured party? I'm all for medical roleplay and love the interactions I've been able to have!

I just feel bad because I feel I could provide a lot more, if there was a ressource that I could check to give myself more information on the type of wound and the impact on BP, O2, consciousness, etc...

For example I looked up symptoms, but I feel that it broke immersion as there was a significant amount of time between what the doctor was examining and what I was trying to state to dive deeper into the rp for the EMTs and Doctors.

Then again, that's just me! I'd love to throw a curveball for example during surgery - sutures rupture, or secondary source of bleeding happens, etc..
We don't expect players to go crazy with stuff but at the bottom of this guide, there are injuries and most common symptoms for you.

• Love
Reactions: Jonathan Swizz

Jonathan Swizz

2.0 Supporter
Gold Supporter
Whitelisted
Apr 14, 2021
Calgary. AB. Canada
We don't expect players to go crazy with stuff but at the bottom of this guide, there are injuries and most common symptoms for you.
Thank you!

Yes that is helpful - I appreciate it :)

Travis Ray

OnlyBans
Feb 11, 2021

I was hoping for a guide that corresponds to the in game injuries that pop up? Like what are some things I should play it off as?

Dwight Kirby

Wish.com Trooper
2.0 Supporter
Gold Supporter
Groundbreaker
Whitelisted
Feb 7, 2021
Honestly, whatever you come up with, we'll roll with it provided it makes sense.

If you fall off a building or bridge and "/me has a bump on their head" - doesn't make sense. But instead if the same scenario happens and you "/me leg appears broken, bleeding from chest, unconscious" then that gives us something to work with and we will bounce back off of you.

Some of our best interactions come from the creative folks so that it isn't just another routine thing for us. Make things fun for us, we'll make it fun back for you.

Vick Torino

Early Supporter
Groundbreaker
OnlyBans
Feb 6, 2021
Washington, DC
www.twitch.tv
I was hoping for a guide that corresponds to the in game injuries that pop up? Like what are some things I should play it off as?
Ignore ingame injury pop related to medrp up we can see them when we look over you but they mean nothing to us. It is entirely up to you what injury you have within reason to what happened to you.

Travis Ray

OnlyBans
Feb 11, 2021
Ignore ingame injury pop related to medrp up we can see them when we look over you but they mean nothing to us. It is entirely up to you what injury you have within reason to what happened to you.
I like to use them as guidelines though.

Dominik Mazzano

Apr 29, 2021
Thank You.
This seems contradictory. You want the hospital to be treated as a green-zone but are unwilling to simply make it a rule, but you're also willing to ban people for it. For the sake of fairness and transparency I feel you should either make it a rule and enforce it as such.

I'm not sure of your meaning here. If you're referring to OOC harassment then I agree entirely, but I'm not under the impression that EMS, Doctors, or Nurses are under some form of protected class for Antagonistic roleplay to come there way. If medical personnel should be excluded from any sort of conflict than I feel that instead hamstrings the level of roleplay coming their way.

There are quite frankly, injuries that do not warrant the calling of an ambulance and I believe it is a failing of the medical system we employ to tell the difference between a minor injury and major. To use an example: I was hanging around with a friend of mine who took a curb weird and fell off his bike. He had an injured leg that didn't seem to respond to bandaging. We opted to take him to the hospital given our inability to fix what should have been a minor injury and he passed out part way there. Given that we were one street down from the hospital, I opted to drive him the rest of the way for which I was scolded by one of the EMS in the lobby.

Realistically, if you fall off your bike and skin your knee, would you call for an ambulance? (For clarifications sake this was a BMX, not a motorcycle)

Aside from the fact that this should be regarded on a case-by-case basis, I do understand that even those minor calls provide opportunities for EMS to roleplay, especially when there are many of them on and few instances of players being injured. Same with doctors, and instead of having X many EMS and Doctors sitting around pillbox waiting to be engaged, that they be kept 'on call' and allowed to go out and do other things than be an apparatus for med-rp.
if this weren't a RP space, yes. But do you understand the sheer VOLUME of stuff we have to deal with on a day to day basis that has nothing to do with RP in order to provide RP for the COMMUNITY? Guidelines, SOPS, Rules, Paperwork. It's hard for a normal person to deal with let alone somebody trying to have fun.

It's less about not wanting unpredictable RP, and just not having the energy to do both. As a doctor on a good day i deal with dozens of people, often in stressful situations to provide the RP in both an orderly manner and a decent one. That doesn't always happen, but we do our best to make sure everyone gets their moment with the doctors.

Because of this, we want to provide that RP without many issues. You can be antagonistic, but doing all of that for everyone else and having stuff literally thrown in our face day in and day out is demoralizing. You can say 'The World aint all sunshine and rainbows' and you are right, but for us to not wanna quit being fake EMS and Doctors for no gain the community has to respect the work we put in even a little bit and avoid bringing their garbage to where we eat.

You get to be the bad guy and not have backend stuff to deal with on top of RPing. It's more work for us than it is fun and that is for everyone.
Lets look at this in a realism aspect. In your own life back home where ever you may hail from, I'll place a years wage on the line saying you have never walked into a hospital with a firearm to secure a hostage, started a fight with the homie, looked a cop dead in the face and said fuck you the list of things that happen in rp hospital that would never happen in life back home. That being said why is it acceptable to do so in roleplay situations? i have 3000 hours of medicinal roleplay under my belt ems nurse doctor etc. The medical staff in the servers are not sheep subject to the populaces ill intent or hostages ripe for the picking. you have up to 180 other individuals in this server to cause discourse and wreak havoc with. Abusing the staff that are in place to put you back together is not going to serve you in the long run. honestly you're lucky there's not a DNR (DO NOT RESESITATE) system in place.

Michael Kennedy

Silver Supporter
SAMS
Whitelisted
Feb 9, 2021
I feel bad I have to even mention this, and I don't know if this has been mentioned before. But we have a lot of newer folks in NDRP (welcome btw!) and not a lot of people know how Medical RP is handled.

When a Doctor approaches you, we are going to be using "/me" emotes to assess the condition you give to us. Some examples may be like:

/me assesses the patients overall condition and makes a plan on where to begin
/me begins to administer a saline flush to the wound
/me applies bruise balm to the affected area.

It seriously helps us out when you respond back to us with "/me" emotes and it doesn't make the RP feel like it's completely one sided. Because the last thing I want to feel like is a mechanic who's main purpose is to sit in the hospital and heal everyone with the Miracles of Jesus.

Not everybody is guilty of this. But at least in my case, it's happening more frequently. I wanted to bring it up because having a back to forth "/me" RP session is better than waiting for you to be fully healed and walk out without giving RP to your fellow members of NDRP.

If I need to elaborate more, please let me know!

Example banter:

Doc: /me approaches the patient and assesses their injuries
Patient: /me has major bruising to his chest
Doc: /me was his breathing labored?
Patient: /me yes

By this point the Doctor would have some ideas:

Doc: /me applies bruise balm to the site and orders an X-Ray, what would the results show?
Patient: /me shows that there would be a fractured rib.

It's nothing terribly hard and it's actually fun to play that guessing game.

Anthony Shepard

Whitelisted
Apr 26, 2021
I know there is a large portion of players who dislike medical RP and want to get it over with as quickly as possible. "I don't enjoy it and you can't force me to play it".
Medical staff is a large part of this server, just like police. Some people might dislike being arrested, but they play along. Some people might dislike being kidnapped, but they play along. It's not fair to the medical staff, not fair to a person who injured you and wants you out of commission for X amount of time. If you get shot 5 times, at least contemplate staying in the ICU for 10 minutes instead of walking out of the hospital as soon as the local doctor is done healing you. No one can make you to RP your injuries for a day or for week, but you should not be able to get shot down, get healed and come back to help your friends.
TLDR; Medical is a big part of NDRP and we all knew that before applying.

Dominik Mazzano

Apr 29, 2021
"No one can make you to RP your injuries for a day or for week, but you should not be able to get shot down, get healed and come back to help your friends.
TLDR; Medical is a big part of NDRP and we all knew that before applying".

If the person receiving medical treatment can go through the motions and acting out the scenarios leading up to them being shot 5 times, they can roleplay the medical aspect and injuries too. not for a week not for a month in game time passes differently than real time so recovery is much quicker and less intensive. it shouldnt be too much to ask and it can be put in place to where unconscious persons cannot check in while a doctor is on duty. =D

Roxanne Shepard

Weenie Hut Jr.
Whitelisted
Feb 11, 2021
A Forest In Almost Canada
To be perfectly honest, I don't enjoy medical RP, unless it's in a server that isn't focused on realism. Being able to replace someone's kneecaps with turtle shells was just about the height of medical RP for me, beyond some actually-realistic physiotherapy RP I was once given. Medical and injury RP can be fun when there's wacky elements to it, but since New Day is very focused on realism, I find it rather unpalatable, though that's not entirely the fault of the med staff; it's simply the nature of the beast. My one critique is some staff clearly need to do more research, as I have tried time and time again to RP stuff that ranges from only slightly outside the norm to fairly complex (but still google-able), and most often it devolves into confusion on their end and me trying to figure out whether or not it'd be appropriate to /ooc "I'm trying to RP this condition". I don't wish to shame anybody and will not name names as there's always room for improvement and chances to learn. I also don't expect perfection by any means, but I do hope any doctors or EMTs/paramedics reading this are reminded that Google is your friend and a very useful resource, both in the moment and during downtime. And it'll help you avoid lawsuits before you give one of my characters a lethal dose of morphine again... :oops: (Which is not an anesthetic, by the way!)

My point is, I think medical RP could be a little more enjoyable if people on both sides educated themselves about whatever injuries they're trying to RP, and maybe also considered exploring non-traumatic injuries like the ones Vick Torino listed in his beautiful thread. (Or ones not listed!) For example, I'm currently trying to RP that my character Arden has multiple sclerosis, but it's been hard because it seems to be over a few doctors' heads. I'd like to be able to have good RP there, and that'd require a doctor to do some research or have some knowledge beforehand. Not a lot; even just 5 minutes worth would be better than nothing. But doing your research while RPing a medical professional (and RPing an ill/injured person) is key to making it less monotonous and more engaging. In the server I was head of EMS/PB for, I almost never got any RP period, but there was one person who wanted to RP physical therapy. So, the night before they had scheduled the appointment, I spent probably a good 45 minutes doing research just so I could give her good RP. To me, it was more than worth it, as I got to learn new things and improve the RP for her.

Lets look at this in a realism aspect. In your own life back home where ever you may hail from, I'll place a years wage on the line saying you have never walked into a hospital with a firearm to secure a hostage, started a fight with the homie, looked a cop dead in the face and said fuck you the list of things that happen in rp hospital that would never happen in life back home. That being said why is it acceptable to do so in roleplay situations? i have 3000 hours of medicinal roleplay under my belt ems nurse doctor etc. The medical staff in the servers are not sheep subject to the populaces ill intent or hostages ripe for the picking. you have up to 180 other individuals in this server to cause discourse and wreak havoc with. Abusing the staff that are in place to put you back together is not going to serve you in the long run. honestly you're lucky there's not a DNR (DO NOT RESESITATE) system in place.
It's acceptable because it is RP and you're playing a character, and many, many people play characters who would do those things. There's having a realism server and then being so hard-nosed that you just basically want to live IRL.

I was the head of EMS in my first ever server, and here's something that grates me with far too many EMS staff of every server I've been in: Thinking they are (or should be) untouchable. You are a sheep subject the populace's ill intent, if the RP demands it. But that goes for everyone, and ill intent is just as equally valid RP as rainbows and sunshine RP. I am not playing me, why should I care about what I would do IRL? Me existing in an RP space has absolutely no relevance. How my character would react to the situation at hand is the only relevant thing.

Force-perma systems are incredibly awful and not conducive to good RP or longterm storytelling. We're not "lucky" to have a staff that recognizes that as such, as such recognition is pretty standard among FiveM servers. It's just common sense. In DND games, it can be much more compelling to have such a system, but not so much in FiveM.

Last edited: